Imperia Online International
April 26, 2024, 18:05:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: why upgraded units are good?  (Read 6536 times)
kzsolti
Private

« on: June 04, 2008, 13:16:09 PM »

I was allways wondering about why upgraded units are good?
e.g. spearman costs 15/6 resources and the Attack - 10  Hitpoints - 100
But HEAVY SPEARMEN costs 25/10 and Attack - 15 Hitpoints - 150 and even slower
is there any reason to use Heavy spearmen when it costs more and slower?

But I'd ask the same for swordsman and spearman. Swords is double the cost and doulbe the strenght, but slower? So, what can be the reason to produce that?
faron
Sergeant

Hey! Don't look your back.....

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 15:10:02 PM »

Light spearman doesn't done many bonus to heavy cavalry and paladin. Yep , heavy is slower, but they are good to crush into light army, and just need 50% more upkeep and resource. If you have a army of heavy before your neighbour , you will gain a lot. If you wondering the speed, research Cartography, you will become faster.

Dangerous butcher in r 38 *Grin*
dinnu
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 15:31:32 PM »

I was allways wondering about why upgraded units are good?
e.g. spearman costs 15/6 resources and the Attack - 10  Hitpoints - 100
But HEAVY SPEARMEN costs 25/10 and Attack - 15 Hitpoints - 150 and even slower
is there any reason to use Heavy spearmen when it costs more and slower?

But I'd ask the same for swordsman and spearman. Swords is double the cost and doulbe the strenght, but slower? So, what can be the reason to produce that?
pls compare units in battle caculator.oki? hmmm
Polymeron
Captain

Be the Storm

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 16:07:56 PM »

dinnu, light soldiers die more (from casualty rate perspective) and thus cost you in morale. That's why heavy armies tend to be more successful in major battles (though light troops have their value, too).

Mind you, it's a lso a smaller drag on your economy, since you draft less men.

Respect GW, or we'll see how good your AA is.
Radooo
Colonel

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 17:30:01 PM »

but you gain more honor *freak*
anyway light units might be better than heavies or elites, if the morale doesn't matter *pardon*

I am the one and only!
AlexWolf
Lieutenant

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 17:57:45 PM »

but you gain more honor *freak*
anyway light units might be better than heavies or elites, if the morale doesn't matter *pardon*
I always use 10-30K light spears 2 farming. They easy take forts upto 5 (essentially with 14 melle) and move faster of the all available 2 siedge units. And sometimes spend it in great battle 2 gain more honor. Then i easy build new light spears. It very cheap!  *freak*
dinnu
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 18:19:21 PM »

dinnu, light soldiers die more (from casualty rate perspective) and thus cost you in morale. That's why heavy armies tend to be more successful in major battles (though light troops have their value, too).

Mind you, it's a lso a smaller drag on your economy, since you draft less men.
polymeron , my pointfor him was  to search for the answer in battle calculater..and simulate there differents kind of battles.I usualy go for heavies ASAP, also for pillaging keep light cavalry(max 20k).
also..i do not and never play eco.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 18:23:08 PM by dinnu » Logged
reni
Tricky Knight
Major

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 19:12:40 PM »

I always use 10-30K light spears 2 farming. They easy take forts upto 5 (essentially with 14 melle) and move faster of the all available 2 siedge units. And sometimes spend it in great battle 2 gain more honor. Then i easy build new light spears. It very cheap!  *freak*

I don't get the idea... Against fortress 5 only 6400 units can fight. And they are not enough to crush a fortress 5 fortification 2 in plains. The battle finish with 45 morale. If you are leader, then you can do that, but only on plains.
It looks a terribly wrong idea anyway... Upkeep of 10k-30k spearman is like 5k-15k phalanx... Besides speed (which is not the most important factor) i don't see any reason to go for this configuration.

Quote from: dinnu
I usualy go for heavies ASAP
Another bad idea. If you really want to be competitive you have to skip heavy soldiers completely (at least in 4 months realm). You will need some light at the beginning (for me swordsman are the best, but here people can have different ideas) and go straight for elite.
dinnu
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 19:20:09 PM »

Another bad idea. If you really want to be competitive you have to skip heavy soldiers completely (at least in 4 months realm). You will need some light at the beginning (for me swordsman are the best, but here people can have different ideas) and go straight for elite.
8 months realm...things can be and are a litle different...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 19:20:23 PM by dinnu » Logged
k_mihai
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 19:21:28 PM »

at the same cost value, are almost the same. light units have a small advantage in armor and attack, and speed but die faster, require more room in barracks, and consume more pop

pals are a special case, cause of their unique bonus
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 19:22:05 PM by k_mihai » Logged
Radooo
Colonel

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 19:21:36 PM »

I don't get the idea... Against fortress 5 only 6400 units can fight. And they are not enough to crush a fortress 5 fortification 2 in plains. The battle finish with 45 morale. If you are leader, then you can do that, but only on plains.

Read it more carefully *gamer*...melee 14...with 105 morale, you can destroy a fort 5 with fortification 7 in plains easy *pardon*

It looks a terribly wrong idea anyway... Upkeep of 10k-30k spearman is like 5k-15k phalanx... Besides speed (which is not the most important factor) i don't see any reason to go for this configuration.

This is the points of view of a farmer, so... for a warrior upkeep doesn't mean too much and a warrior won't skip heavy soldiers...also honor is very important *freak*

I am the one and only!
reni
Tricky Knight
Major

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 19:30:04 PM »

Read it more carefully *gamer*...melee 14...with 105 morale, you can destroy a fort 5 with fortification 7 in plains easy *pardon*

This is the points of view of a farmer, so... for a warrior upkeep doesn't mean too much and a warrior won't skip heavy soldiers...also honor is very important *freak*

Ok, i didn't see that melee 14, sorry  *pardon* But also this tells me you are speaking for 8 months realms.

This is not farmers point of view. I generally get elites after 1 month and some days. I stay no more then 3 weeks farming (because i also fight some battles with light). That's all!

Honor is very important... ok, but after 1 month you will get in one battle, more then you got in all previous month.

Frankly speaking in 4 month realms heavy soldiers are completely useless for me. In 8 month is another thing... There you have to use them (looking that elites need very high level of armor and melee)
dinnu
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 19:30:27 PM »

I do not want to go to argumentations why in 8months realm is good to stick at heaviest and CATS...even for along time (lets say 5months). the most important thing is that if u break up the huge players mase that play comci/comca...u drag down a little much ur oportunities for alliances wars.wich I preffer most.
dinnu
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 19:32:44 PM »

@reni 1 months elites ? *xxx* *Shocked* *Shocked* *Shocked* *Shocked* *Shocked* *Shocked* *Shocked*
k_mihai
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 19:34:51 PM »

yes, 1 month and a couple of days, is possible but is 2 soon

heavies are good especially when playing in a warrior alliance, with wars since the beginning.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 19:35:06 PM by k_mihai » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: