Imperia Online International
April 27, 2024, 18:23:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do u think that someone who was hacked and thrown away for his alliance should be allowed to return?  (Voting closed: February 15, 2008, 13:41:44 PM)
Yes - 15 (65.2%)
No - 7 (30.4%)
Dunno - 1 (4.3%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: About hacking  (Read 11776 times)
k_mihai
« on: January 16, 2008, 13:41:44 PM »

Since i saw that this cases grows in numbers (approx from 1 per year to 1 per month, a 12x growth), i think maybe, some rules need to be changed, since they depends on the context, and at least some exceptions, in difficult cases should be allowed (ofc, not when someone change his/hers mind and want to return in the original alliances, but in hacking cases).
Hiske
Trusted Member

I want a personalized magnet! :D

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 13:52:04 PM »

I voted 'no'... I will explain... All of the accounts that I heard off that were hacked had a very easy password AND the players told others their pass... I think then it's completely your own responsibility... there is nothing on the internet that can't be hacked... hacking is part of the world wide web... so I won't say that passwords can't be hacked... cause of course they can... but that doesn't have anything to do with IO... it's everyone's own responsibility to choose their pass and to use it the way they want to use it... if my password is 123456 and I tell it openly on the forum... and my account gets 'hacked' and the 'hacker' would throw me out of the alliance... I mean; it would be stupid to let me return, right? so therefore I believe that your password is your own responsibility... it cannot be hacked easily... but hacking is part of internet... they can also hack your e-mail or computer or whatever...
licancina
Sergeant

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 13:58:42 PM »

there should be new rule implemented, at least for the new user... when a new player wants to register, and when he is asked to choose his password, he shouldn't be allowed to choose any below 8 characters... mixed letters and numbers... that is very simple to make, i already saw it implemented on many sites

" Ako vam je težak stijeg čestitosti, utaknite ga u zemlju i naše kosti će ga nositi..." Vaši branitelji
k_mihai
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 14:04:31 PM »

hmm, that`s exactly a reply to be expected from a mod (well, from most of them). by that i mean, embracing an official position without trying to understand what other people think about it, at least (classical official position being the others are to be blamed)

this is like saying that if traffic accidents are a consequence of the igniting engine (or oil pollution), then people who make car accidents should not be punished (or victim of car accidents should not be compensated, or of oil pollution).

even if a victim was ignorant, foolish or smth similar, smth wrong is done.

and i never saw cases with people putting their passes on the forum  *Grin*

edit some sites tell people what to do, or to change their passes, or allocate random ones not everybody know that 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 14:06:13 PM by k_mihai » Logged
Hiske
Trusted Member

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 14:14:58 PM »

don't ever say that I don't try to understand how other people think about certain subjects... I'm always open for other opinions... you should know that...  *hmm*

I'm not saying that things should not be changed... I think the login screen should have some changes... not just to prevent hackers; but also cheaters... I believe there should be an e-mail check for example (like on the forum) to activate an account... and maybe we should even get the numbers back... and having a warning about passwords on the login screen might be an excellent idea... but that's a whole different discussion...

your password is everyone's own responsibility... and seriously; if I would hear about hard passwords that have been hacked in IO; maybe I would change my mind... but right now I only heard about very easy passwords that were also shared by others... I mean, come on... how can a game be responsible if players share their passwords?
k_mihai
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 14:20:51 PM »

well, I don`t know that, and my reply was specific to this topic

there is an email activation code in R25, and ofc it doesn`t work. i entered my account forgetting about that, and found the activation email only 4 days after when i checked my email *Grin*

quality of passwords is not the issue, i mean, the fact of having a weak pass doesn`t make hacking an account less wrong...
and are u sure that all those hacked gave away their passes to hackers? u asked for each case? with proofs?

Rake
Private

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 14:25:09 PM »

I voted 'no'... I will explain... All of the accounts that I heard off that were hacked had a very easy password AND the players told others their pass... I think then it's completely your own responsibility... there is nothing on the internet that can't be hacked... hacking is part of the world wide web... so I won't say that passwords can't be hacked... cause of course they can... but that doesn't have anything to do with IO... it's everyone's own responsibility to choose their pass and to use it the way they want to use it... if my password is 123456 and I tell it openly on the forum... and my account gets 'hacked' and the 'hacker' would throw me out of the alliance... I mean; it would be stupid to let me return, right? so therefore I believe that your password is your own responsibility... it cannot be hacked easily... but hacking is part of internet... they can also hack your e-mail or computer or whatever...
basically you saying that the fault of being hacked is mine cause I chose to had an easy password? thats shitty!

I totally agree that he should be able to return to the alliance. but I know what administration is going to say... you cant prove you were banned.  *pardon* I was hacked once and they sayed something like that! cause if they knew that I was hacked, they also could ban that person.

On the winners side!
Hiske
Trusted Member

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 14:29:43 PM »

of course hacking is always wrong... but it's also everyone's own responsibility... and yes; from now on I'm investigating every hacked account... jut because I want to know what's going on... and the players I heard so far did share their passwords... they told me themselves...

basically you saying that the fault of being hacked is mine cause I chose to had an easy password? thats shitty!

first of all; of course it's not your fault that your password is hacked... of course not... I'm just saying that if I don't want people to log into my account; I make sure that no one knows or is able to guess my password! because it's my responsibility! is that so shitty?

I totally agree that he should be able to return to the alliance. but I know what administration is going to say... you cant prove you were banned.  *pardon* I was hacked once and they sayed something like that! cause if they knew that I was hacked, they also could ban that person.

so ok... I'm writing a post on the forum with my password... my account is being 'hacked'... should I be able to return to my alliance?
k_mihai
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 14:34:08 PM »

of course hacking is always wrong... but it's also everyone's own responsibility... and yes; from now on I'm investigating every hacked account... jut because I want to know what's going on... and the players I heard so far did share their passwords... they told me themselves...

good, let me rephrase for u the question. if someone`s account was hacked, and the pass wasn`t shared,  should the person be able to return to his former alliance?

from ur posts (especially the first) didn`t result that hacking is always wrong
Hiske
Trusted Member

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 14:36:23 PM »

from ur posts (especially the first) didn`t result that hacking is always wrong

first of all... if I wasn't clear... of course hacking is always wrong!

good, let me rephrase for u the question. if someone`s account was hacked, and the pass wasn`t shared,  should the person be able to return to his former alliance?

how can you possibly proof the password wasn't shared? that's the problem!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 14:36:38 PM by Hiske » Logged
k_mihai
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 14:40:14 PM »

how can you possibly proof the password wasn't shared? that's the problem!

that`s exactly what i was talking about. presumption of guilty, typical official position ...

u weren`t clear...
stasy
Major

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 14:49:34 PM »

that`s exactly what i was talking about. presumption of guilty, typical official position ...

u weren`t clear...

And you are always again any official statement

Hiske
Trusted Member

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 15:04:38 PM »

come on mihai... that's BS... but how easy is it to say that your account has been hacked so you can join an alliance you left? it would only cause more cheating IMHO.

u weren`t clear...

hacking is always a bad thing... just like stealing is always a bad thing... but it's my responsibility to keep my wallet save *wink*
Rake
Private

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 15:13:38 PM »

first of all; of course it's not your fault that your password is hacked... of course not... I'm just saying that if I don't want people to log into my account; I make sure that no one knows or is able to guess my password! because it's my responsibility! is that so shitty?
you sayed all passwords can be hacked... so no matters what password you chose, you can be hacked, so its always your responsability!  *sad*

And you are always again any official statement
yes mihai... you are wrong...  *crazy* official positions are always correct!  *wink*

On the winners side!
Hiske
Trusted Member

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 15:21:40 PM »

official positions are always correct!  *wink*

you think so??? I disagree! *Lips Sealed* *hihi*
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: