Imperia Online International
March 29, 2024, 08:08:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion: Country-side tile expansion.  (Read 3316 times)
franznikoforos
Private

« on: December 27, 2013, 12:14:25 PM »

RATIONALE.

Everybody agrees that one of the strongest features of this game is to expand you empire, controlling not only a city, but a multiple set of objects on the map.
Of course, the number of cities is limited by the level of Centralization and it is rational like this, otherwise the micro-management of the game would become excessive.
However, it would be nice to still have the opportunity to enlarge your empire without drammatically increase micro-management or changing the game-dynamics in a too strong way.
my suggestion therefore is to introduce the "country-side" expansion": not cities or commercial posts, but simply fields in the countryside.

MECHANICS

Each Centralization level gives to the player 1 province expansion, 1 vassal, and up to 2 (so 1 or 2 according to the speed of the game) countryside expansions.

Countryside must be in contact with a province but can be outside of the preferred zone.

Countryside has the following buildings: mines, house, farms, imperial route, depo station. buildings cannot be upgraded (there is no townhall as there is no town but only fields) with exception of the imperial route. As in reality, when the population is too high there is no other way than migrating from the countryside. The level of the buildings is automatically updated to the level of centralization, so for example developing centralization 5 automatically upgrade all the buildings in all the countrysides to 5 (except for the imperial route).
There is no garrison and no fortress. However, a field army can be quartiered there. Military outposts also control the countryside in the same way they control trade posts.

IMPACT ON THE GAME.

- it creates a "war for land", not only a "war for resources", increasing the importance of military posts.
- it extremely increases immersion because empires can develop LARGER and quicker without alterating too much the dynamics.
- it helps resource development at the beginning of the game, without giving excessive advantages to beginners.
- it is realistic *Smiley*

What do you think about that? your toughts are welcome!

Dint
Trusted Member

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 17:22:14 PM »

Very nice! I like seeing that you have put quite some thought into your idea and worked it out so well. I think it sounds interesting and I am curious to see what other players think about it.

Either way, thank you for your suggestion! It will be reviewed by our team. *ok*
felix_r
Captain

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 14:02:49 PM »

Yes, like in "Warcraft" 15 years ago...  *HOHO*
GreatGuardian
Sergeant

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 02:34:38 AM »

There may be a logistics problem with this suggestion because in v6, each province occupies a space on the map, unlike in previous versions. If you look at the center of the map in v6, you will notice that the empires are so densely positioned, that neighbors have to compete for the good terrains and it's first come - first serve. Adding countryside provinces that can be attacked means giving them a space on the map so that they can be seen. This opens up the possibility of players becoming physically surrounded to the point where they can't expand at all if they develop slower than their neighbor.
I think countrysides should be predetermined objects on the map, similar to independent cities (perhaps each fertile terrain can be made into an object). You basically acquire it the same way you would gain a vassal, and you have passive control over its development, and active control over its defense (via military post), but instead of a gold Tribute, you collect population, which you can send to any of your provinces. Perhaps you can make it so that the more you wait, the faster the population grows (up to a point) - that way the reward for waiting is greater, but the risk is also greater because someone can attack, take it over, and enslave the population for themselves.
franznikoforos
Private

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 17:23:46 PM »

Well, in my opinion, "war for land" means that space is important.... after all, we live in a sad world where millions of people have died, over history, to move the border between two nations of few kilometers.
Naturally, this is why I believe that Countrisides should NOT become a land that you should own at any cost to survive. Rather, it should be a nice addition to the game for those who want to expand on the map...
Also, they would increase the importance of Colonies and Military posts, making it much more realistic: after all, let's imagine a medioeval castle without lands, farms and countrysides around.......

But of course this is just my opinion.Any discussion is welcome *Smiley*
Raael
Sergeant

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 10:35:17 AM »

War for land is much more fun in my opinion. I played utopia 15 years ago when browser games were text based and in those days all games were war for land. Ever since online browser game became more graphic oriented they switched to being war for resources. War for resources, while it can still be fun, has some major flaws. In war for land games your strength comes from your land not your resources, resources are merely spent to acquire and defend your land. In war for resources you will not be a target if you spend all your resources and thus you dont need to defend yourself.

Games were you must attack to grow but also defend that which you have is much more interesting. IO has been going slighty in that direction with colonies and trading+military posts but its still far from a situation where a player NEEDS to think defense and use their military to defend against aggressors who want to take your land. If im attacked today then i just spend my resources and move my army then the attacker has no incentive to attack me.
franznikoforos
Private

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 18:01:13 PM »

HI ALL,

Dear community managers and developers,

Could you maybe tell us if this idea has been discussed and what are the outcomes? it will be very appreciated to know somethin g *Smiley*
SirEbola
Private

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 05:43:36 AM »

Completely agree, this would greatly improve game play.  Any update?
Angela
Community Manager

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 14:56:43 PM »

We don't have the results yet, we will inform you when they are ready.

Angela
Macedonian Community Manager

Facebook Fan Page
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: