Imperia Online International
April 25, 2024, 09:29:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IO Cheater Promotion  (Read 2657 times)
Skanderbeg
« on: January 21, 2011, 05:15:41 AM »

I have recently been victim of a multi-account cheater - when his weaker self was not able to spy on me, he simply got his stronger, similarly-named self, well above my 2x range and in a different "alliance" from the weaker self, to do the spying for him.

While he was attacking, my alliance leader sent him a message that we had evidence of his cheating, and would report him.  Cheater replied "Do your best."

Well, I did my best.  My leader and I, both victims of these multiple accounts now, wrote a detailed record of Cheater's activities, showing clearly cheating.

Now I see that in November October IO essentially gave permission to players to cheat without worrying about other players reporting them.  Instead, now cheaters will only be detected, if at all, by some nebulous random machine-based number-crunching.  Wow.

I submitted my detailed report on this cheater to support anyway... I had already written it, and sending it to support was just as easy as hitting the delete key, and at least I tried. 

Now my leader has given up being leader, and is likely to quit soon.  We already lost one strong member because he got sick of multi-account attacks, and one other has not played in many days and will likely quit for same reason.  

I now find myself avoiding getting points and resources specifically because I know I will only once again become victim of the same cheater and probably other cheaters - members of big alliances with so many points they can't find victims to raid in their own point range, so they create new accounts to start raiding smaller guys, always with the promise of back-up from their more powerful alter egos.

My only choices, it seems, are either to quit altogether or to create multi-accounts myself and devote 24 hours a day to juggling my accounts to out-cheat the other cheaters.

Is that about right?  I mean, I understand it must take time to check out human reports of cheaters, so if that's what IO chooses to do... I mean, handling multiple accounts must be quite daunting, and no doubt involves a skill-set that can be very challenging, so allowing as many accounts as any player can keep up with would be entirely fair and a challenging game.

But it is not one I have time or desire to play... So I just want to get straight what kind of game we have here now? 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 06:25:27 AM by Skanderbeg » Logged
Kopator
Captain

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 17:34:23 PM »

that´s not really an evidence for multi acc cheating...  that player A ask player AA for intel.....
ppl are always seeking intel from other players...
I am sure that admin looked into IP-addresses....

Hail to the Spam King *KING*
Skanderbeg
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 06:00:28 AM »

My complaint above was not my actual complaint about the cheater (since IO prohibits submitting such complaints in the forum,) but is instead a complaint about IO's policy regarding reports of cheaters.

But since you responded by questioning the viability of my complaint, I will reply to your points directly by describing additional evidence (but no names) I included in my report:

1)  the names of the accounts are transparently the same person... An extra "x" in account #2 and some extra characters in account #3 - but all with the exact same base name.  Like  "Sassafrax12" "Sassafraxx12" and "ll_Sassafrax_ll" (I just made these up - hope they are not real IO account names -if they are, I am not accusing any "Sassafrax" of multi-accounting!)

2) the spy assistance (in 2 attacks, a day apart, one against me, the other against a fellow alliance member) from the "strong" account came within a few minutes (in the case of my fellow-alliance-member) and a few *seconds* (in my case) of failed spy attempts by the "weak" account.  

3) the accounts in question are members of 2 different alliances which are not in federation with each other... The "weak" account was in an alliance consisting only of account #1 and account #2, same names with only one extra "x" in the second one - The "strong" account with the same name with extra non-alpha-numeric characters is in the top echelon of alliance rankings on the realm.  Is it really that normal for a member of one super-strong alliance to offer spy assistance to another player with almost exactly the same name who is in a different, non-federated and much newer/weaker alliance within a few seconds?  If they are that friendly with each other, I would expect them to be in the same alliance.  I can think of no explanation other than multi-accounting.

4) when accused of multi-accounting and promised a report to IO support, the weak account replied "Do your best."  Not really a denial there.

5) when my fellow alliance member capitulated to the "weak" account, the "strong" account sent a message within a minute or so saying "You speak (language of account holder)."  I won't name the language, but the obvious suggestion was that his nation of origin is so historically powerful that capitulating to a member of that nation is tantamount to speaking that nation's language.  And this comment came not from the "weak" account which actually did the attack, but from the "strong" account which had provided the spy about two hours before the attack and capitulation occurred.

To me, this is better evidence of cheating than IP addresses.  

I often check on my Empire on my fellow-alliance-member/friends computer at his house down the street (between Call of Duty games), and he does the same over at my apartment (especially since he did not pay his internet bill this month head_hurts_kr)  But we do not coordinate our attacks and spying efforts within seconds of each other (in fact we don't coordinate attacks at all, unfortunately).

At the same time, it would be simple enough to have a desktop and a laptop (or more) in front of one and launch multi-account cheat attacks from two (or more) separate accounts using separate IP.  Then, no matter how coordinated, it would not be detected as "cheating" through automated data-analysis because the attacks and spying would have been launched from two different CPUs.  In fact, I am strongly suspect this cheater did exactly that - there was too little time between the "weak" account's spies failing to infiltrate and the "strong" (out-of-2x range) account's spies making their attempt - Not enough time for logging off of one and onto another account and then back again.

And I am NOT sure anyone will check it out.  In fact I received a response from support informing me, without comment, that "player report checks are temporarily suspended."  I have chosen to take the "temporarily" at face value, and to submit my report within the time deadlines set by IO in order to preserve my complaint as timely submitted in case "player report checks" are resumed in the future.

I understand and agree that it must be a difficult to decide whether cheating has occurred... So many factors.  

That is why random computer-generated data comparisons are a dangerous method for detecting cheaters - they will inevitably be both under-inclusive and over-inclusive if a human does not examine them and ask human questions before making a decision.  

But *mostly* I think it was unfortunate that IO made an announcement that it would NOT be checking on player complaints of cheating... not so much the decision to suspend investigating player reports itself, but the *announcement* of discontinuing such checks gave a green light to multi-account cheating.

I will deal with my cheaters in time  >*sad* , and am working towards that goal more than anything now  hard

But if my efforts are defeated by more cheating, and I have no official avenue for submitting complaints and evidence, things will become very frustrating to say the least. rant
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 09:38:45 AM by Skanderbeg » Logged
nekodrugi
Major

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 15:22:06 PM »

Skanderbeg,

I really don't know how experienced you are but from what i could read not that much.

No. 1. it's not true that IO would not check reports on cheats. Read this first. http://forum.imperiaonline.org/int/index.php?topic=24574.0 and in future check in forum (or ask) before you start to rant about something that is not an issue.

For your info few months back (something like summer time) in V4a realms they obviously had shortage of admins (or too much job working on V5) so they officially told to players that they won't check cheat reports but obviously that change and IO made public that they are checking if anybody cheat.

Second thing is your doubt someone is cheating by having multiaccounts.

By it self that's not that easy to prove from your side. The fact someone have "similar" name is not a proof. It is suspicious but not a proof.

IO can check all activities those 2 accounts did and if they are overlapping more than usual they would do what is needed BUT let me tell you what happened to me.

Some month ago, in one of realms that i play, few of us went after one guy. It was revenge attacks. First i kill him in defense and than we went after him, armies coming one after another, fort siege and pillages. My alliance and some other alliances were involved in this operation.

The guy came online and start trowing accusations that I'm using multiple accounts. He had his own "logic" that prove i have 2 or 3 accounts. All that was happening at night time so i guess he tough people must sleep and there is no chance 3 or 4 of players around him could gather their armies so fast and start attacking him.

Anyway he finally wrote to me that he would report me for multiaccounting and guess what i answer to him.

"Do your best"  *hihi*

Now i know for sure that you are not speaking of me right now but i guess you can see similarities.

If you are still sure someone is multiaccounting report it. On the link above you can find all details you need to know to report someone.
Skanderbeg
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 21:34:42 PM »

@nekodrugi:

I am indeed a noob - but I also know how to read the forum and look for answers, which I did extensively before submitting my report to IO and before complaining about *current* IO policy on the matter on the forum.  Just because I have not played IO for years on end does not mean I am quite as dull as you seem to think.  

I also resent the implication that noobs should sit down, shut up, and take it like noobs.  I imagine IO is quite happy to have noobs discovering and playing the game, or it would probably only be the same 10 people playing who first created the game.  Making fun of noobs is part of gaming, I know... But was there not a time when you were a noob?  Would any game have success if there were never any noobs?  Does being new at something mean one should accept cheating by more experienced players, and never say anything?    

No. 1 - It *is* true that IO will not check reports on cheats.  Read this first. http://forum.imperiaonline.org/int/index.php?topic=18367.msg193636#msg193636   Also read the response I received from the report which I did submit three days ago:

"Hi,
"player report checks are temporarily suspended http://forum.imperiaonline.org/int/index.php?topic=18367.msg193636#msg193636
"Best regards,
"Krum, IO Support"

For your info I already knew about IO officially telling players they won't check cheat reports, because I did read that announcement before submitting my player report and complaining about IO policy in this forum.  Actually, I seem to have already known more about it than you, as I knew the announcement was made in November, not "something like summer time."  And I have it straight from Krum's keyboard less than 72 hours old.  Obviously the IO policy of not checking player reports is still current, and the notice you link to was a re-posting of old reporting procedure rules by a community manager and not a new announcement from IO that IO has resumed investigating such reports.  

Second thing is your mis-reading (or non-reading) of my complaint about IO investigation policy and assumption I am an idiot who does not understand that it is "not that easy to prove from [my] side."  Of course it is not easy for me to prove.  I can only work with the tools I have, which is the information a player receives through the IO gaming interface.  You imply that complaints must contain absolute proof, and that is not part of any official complaint/investigation system anywhere in the world.  It always starts with reasonable suspicion, followed by investigation by more experienced investigators with better detection tools.  Under your model, no crime or offense would ever be investigated.

With that in mind, of course the similarity of names is not absolute proof.  It is, however, evidence.  And these names are more than "similar" ... they are as close to each other as it is possible to make them without getting "that user name is not available" message while creating an account.  "Sassafrax12" and "Sassafraxx12" (my fictitious but exactly parallel examples) are more than "similar," they are "almost identical."  And yes, again, it is suspicious, and not proof, but it is *one part* of the information which I was able to gather as a mere player, whether noob or not.  

Third thing is, of course IO *can* "check all activities those 2 accounts did and if they are overlapping more than usual they would do what is needed," just as you say.  This is exactly why I submitted a player report of possible cheating - so hopefully IO would follow up with more definitive investigation.  But again, my concern is that IO is saying they will not check the activities at all, so nothing will be done.

As for your own little tale of cooperation and accusations, that is all well and good, but nothing to do with me and the person I suspect of cheating.  Other than the mere coincidence of the "Do your best" messages.  Uncanny.  Really.  But does that one coincidence between my story and yours prove that my suspicions are un-founded?  Fact is, I placed the "Do your best" quote rather low on my list of evidence, and acknowledged that in itself it is not much - all I said is it is "not exactly a denial."  I did not say it was "clear proof of guilt beyond all doubt."  

So yes, there is a similarity in that one circumstance with your tale of innocent cooperation.  But were there other similarities?  Was your user name one letter off from those of your several friends?  Did your friends alliance consist only of two accounts with names only one letter different from each others and your own?  Were you spying on a target well outside your 2x range that you had never had any dealings with before?  Were you launching stronger spies within 14 seconds of your weaker friends spies failing?  Did you leave your army at home yet make sure to watch your friends attack two hours later, then send a taunting message (but no following armies) to the capitulating victim the moment after he capitulated to your friend?  And did you and your friends repeat the exact same pattern the next day against a different target?  Were you in the 25k point range in a top level powerful alliance, and your "similar named" friends in the 3k point range of a 5-day-old alliance that had only one member until 3 days before when another "similar named" account joined him to make 2 less-than-4k point players in the alliance?

OK, everything I have listed, even all put together, may not be, by itself, absolute proof... I acknowledge (as I already did in previous post) that, as you say, "that's not that easy to prove from [my] side."  

I don't have the video of some guy in a city 6,000 miles away working on two computers whose screens show that he is logged in to IO on two different accounts while attacking myself and my alliance member.  I do not have a message from the guy saying "Ha Ha, I beat you down using my three different accounts on IO at the same time!"  I do not have IP addresses for the accounts, because I am not an illegal hacker.  I do not have records of the activities of the 3 accounts over time showing a pattern of use for the same reason.

All I have is the tools I am given.  That is why I am complaining about the IO policy that IO, which does have more tools, will not even look at any player reports of possible cheating.  As I acknowledge already in my above post, I understand there are many factors in determining whether someone is actually cheating, and that it can be a difficult call, and I thank you for reminding me of what I have already said.  

But do you really think that all of the circumstances I described, put together, do not even warrant an investigation? Or even a player report complaint?  

Just what kind of evidence could a player acquire that might meet your standards?  The video?  The confession message?  An affidavit from his mother?  My point in my original post in this forum is not to prove or disprove my suspicion in this particular instance, but is instead to point out my concern that the IO announcement and *current* policy of not investigating leaves cheaters a blank check, and players like me with no recourse, no matter how strong the evidence.  

Even if I had the video, the confession and the affidavit, IO's current policy would be to take no steps to investigate the matter, since the information comes from a player and not from some computer-based random cheater-probability algorithm they run themselves.  I certainly think the facts I presented in my player report (more detailed even than my above post - including exact times and sequences over two days and two different attacks on two different players by three accounts with almost identical names using the same simultaneous pattern) rise above a mere "Oh me oh my, two players spied and attacked me, they must be multi-accounting, please investigate."  

What kind of evidence (that a player can acquire) would be enough to meet your *experienced* standards for something that should be further investigated?  Whatever your heightened experienced-IO-player standards might be, it would still not be enough because IO is *not* currently (and for the past 3 months and for an indefinite future) investigating *any* player reports. [/u]

« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 23:17:22 PM by Skanderbeg » Logged
nekodrugi
Major

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 00:37:47 AM »

1. I wont get into flame war with you

2. I never call you noob i wrote you are not too experienced

2a. you prove it with your reply to my post.

3. I never ever had an issue with reporting "suspected" cheats and I KNOW how hard its to prove that someone cheat. What can look very VERY strange to me can actually be legitimate actions.  I am sorry to hear krum wrote to you that they won't accept "cheat reports" but if you wrote to him the same way you just wrote to me than i'm sure krum didn't read more than 2 lines of your mail.

By the way i still believe they do check but i'm SURE what they don't want to do is to get A TON of beginners "cheat suspect" emails. And most of the time beginners are those that think there is something wrong.

4. Yes i was noob before and obviously i'm still a noob.

5. Since you wrote too much i cant and wont even try to answer to everything. This is the last message from me about this topic.
Skanderbeg
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 02:26:44 AM »

Prelude: anyone who thinks the facts I have laid out are just "coincidence" and not evidence of an actual cheater are self-deluding apologists unwilling to accept that cheating is occurring on IO, and that cheating has been given a de facto imprimatur of approval by IO's announcement that player reports of cheating will not be investigated.  Period.  Full Stop.  

@nekodrugi (who is apparently more concerned about netiquette than acknowledging and doing something to combat blatant IO cheating)

1.  I wrote to you in exactly the same tone you wrote to me.  I used the same format as your response to me, and much of the same belittling tone and condescending language.  The fact that those things upset you may illuminate how I felt on reading your response to me.

2.  I am sorry if I misinterpreted "you are... not that much [experienced]."  I took that to mean the same thing as "noob," and I sincerely apologize for mis-characterizing your words.

3.  Unfortunately your response assumed that I was wrong about IO policy due to my inexperience or lack of research.  Your tone implied that I did not know what I was talking about, and that I was simply imagining things in a very amateurish way, which I did resent.  I therefore offered you a detailed assurance that such was not the case.  I will be happy to forward you the entire player report as I submitted it, and then you can tell me if the simple log of times and events was in any way insulting.

Your continuing belief that IO is doing exactly what IO has said it is not doing shows some real faith.  

4.  If you acknowledge yourself as also being a "noob" it would seem that much more inappropriate that you throw out "inexperience" as a response to my remarks about recent changes to IO investigation policy.

5.  Yes, it is easy to assert simple accusations and then not bother reading the response that completely refutes your accusations.  We have a political group in my country called the Tea Party that specializes in this rhetorical tactic.  

I never intended to get into the details of my underlying evidence, as that is not the pertinent issue.  The issue is that announcing that IO will not consider player reports of cheating can only encourage cheating.

It is you and Kopator who questioned the merits of my suspicions, and prompted my detailed responses on that issue.  
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:02:04 AM by Skanderbeg » Logged
numpty
Forum Staff

The real bggest loser!!!!

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 23:56:52 PM »

Prelude: anyone who thinks the facts I have laid out are just "coincidence" and not evidence of an actual cheater are self-deluding apologists unwilling to accept that cheating is occurring on IO, and that cheating has been given a de facto imprimatur of approval by IO's announcement that player reports of cheating will not be investigated.  Period.  Full Stop.  

@nekodrugi (who is apparently more concerned about netiquette than acknowledging and doing something to combat blatant IO cheating)

1.  I wrote to you in exactly the same tone you wrote to me.  I used the same format as your response to me, and much of the same belittling tone and condescending language.  The fact that those things upset you may illuminate how I felt on reading your response to me.

2.  I am sorry if I misinterpreted "you are... not that much [experienced]."  I took that to mean the same thing as "noob," and I sincerely apologize for mis-characterizing your words.

3.  Unfortunately your response assumed that I was wrong about IO policy due to my inexperience or lack of research.  Your tone implied that I did not know what I was talking about, and that I was simply imagining things in a very amateurish way, which I did resent.  I therefore offered you a detailed assurance that such was not the case.  I will be happy to forward you the entire player report as I submitted it, and then you can tell me if the simple log of times and events was in any way insulting.

Your continuing belief that IO is doing exactly what IO has said it is not doing shows some real faith.  

4.  If you acknowledge yourself as also being a "noob" it would seem that much more inappropriate that you throw out "inexperience" as a response to my remarks about recent changes to IO investigation policy.

5.  Yes, it is easy to assert simple accusations and then not bother reading the response that completely refutes your accusations.  We have a political group in my country called the Tea Party that specializes in this rhetorical tactic.  

I never intended to get into the details of my underlying evidence, as that is not the pertinent issue.  The issue is that announcing that IO will not consider player reports of cheating can only encourage cheating.

It is you and Kopator who questioned the merits of my suspicions, and prompted my detailed responses on that issue.  

you may or may not be a noob but i like your posts.  IO announces they arent doing checks is gaming suicide, i have no information other than what i see on forum regarding this matter, but I too am a man of faith in tangible wordly things, like Neko, I dont think checks aren´t being done, just not on demand cause most requests are fruit of someone losing and not objective observation. 

regarding kopator, ignore him, consider it spam, like the dudes selling stupid things on forum like anti-depressants, suppositories and alfalfa sprouts from los angeles´ jungles....

To whom is may concern, to all unhappy, disappointed, permanently complaining people:
You are not obliged to pay, neither you're obliged to play this game at all. You pay, you make your choice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: