Imperia Online International
April 29, 2024, 00:52:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: serious suggestion on fortress  (Read 1915 times)
brianyoo89
Private

« on: March 30, 2009, 13:37:10 PM »

First of all, i like this game, but because i like this game, when i see something can be done better. It is very frustrating. Many people over the world are enjoying this game, so improvement in the game can make so many people fun.
I actually wanna work for Imperia Online as i have very good ideas how to make this game more fun (i played many games so i have many ideas to coordinate good things). Actually IO was looking for translators, and as im korean, i wanted to try for it, but they told me that they would not pay me in cash.   rant
As im a university student + english teacher as a part time job, i dont have time to work for free  *hmm*

Anyway, getting back to what i want to say. (actually i would like to talk to the GM directly through phone or something)
I was attracted to this game in the beginning because it says "very realistic game" and the game has been quite realistic and very fun!

But it is such a pity to see some unrealistic part of this game. "Fortress"
Im not sure if this is mentioned but i would like to talk about this in logical way.
The most unrealistic thing about this fortress is that it never gets crushed.
If you see some movie or something and they fortress siege. The wall certainly gets damaged significantly by siege weapons no matter the attacker lose or win (very realistic because that the reality of the fortress siege), and it takes certain amount of time to rebuild it.

But!! in Imperia Online, lets say the attacker loses the fortress siege due low morale, and the Fortress HP is 100,000,000 and it has been reduced to 50,000. So it is clear that fortress is almost destroyed, and needs significant re-construction. However, what a magic!! One minutes later the next attack is made by the first attacker's ally. The fortress gets repaired immediately (took one minute to repair) and restores its full fortress HP of 100,000,000 (how can an almost destroyed fortress have full HP?)

Lets say the attacker wins the fortress siege and goes on to fighting the garrison, which means the fortress is destroyed. And defender loses battle because usually people have their archers only in the fotress (why cant we put some army in the castle??? fortress siege is too simple compared to a real war situation). After the battle, the loser (defender) wants to repair the fortress and brings the stone from other provinces (takes about 10~30 minutes). Once you have the stone enough, the almost-completely-destroyed fortress gets repaired immediately, when building the fortress took 2~5 days (depends on the level of fortress).

.......... how realistic are these?

Im not going to write about how we should fix this, because it will get very complicated, demanding some deep considerations. To be honest, i really wish to participate in making adjustment. But Im sure there are people who are doing those in IO office. So please come up with the good adjustment.

This is only about the "Fortress" there are many more things that i want to talk about to make this game much enjoyable but im not a full-time worker in Imperia online. It takes too much time to say things comprehensively and i will just be ok (good enough) if fortress matter can be fixed.

I will be looking forward to get a serious reply on this. Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 15:00:53 PM by brianyoo89 » Logged
Polymeron
Captain

Be the Storm

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 15:11:10 PM »

Nice to see so much enthusiasm! Here's my thoughts on the matter.

Actually, in reality damaged and even razed castles were often used to great tactical advantage, despite gaping holes in walls, etc.

Every fortress has its weak spots, its routes of access. The defenders know these and guard them well. The attacker's job is to breach through these defenses - to put siege towers to the walls, for instance, or climb with ladders, or punch a big enough hole for soldiers to come through. Once that's achieved, it hardly matters that the fortress is still standing - it is all but useless as a defense if the attacker establishes and maintains a foothold.

Therefore, you may want to consider that the "fortress hp" don't represent mere structural integrity. Obviously to conquer a fortress I don't need to reduce every single wall in it to rubble - just punch a single hole through, or get enough men scaling the walls at once. I'm sure you can see how in that scenario too, cavalry isn't helpful but spearmen and swordsmen are.

Once inside, the attackers put the garrison to the sword and probably burn whatever buildings are inside. The castle is damaged and breached... But dig a simple dry moat and erect some wooden barricades around whatever breach the catapults caused makes another siege difficult again. The defenders would hasten to prepare these makeshift defenses in preparation for the next attack. The walls are still tall and defenders are still hard to reach... Another attacker will need to work hard to get in, too.

So, it may not be wholly realistic to give the castle its full hp every time, since some damage is done, but it would be even less so to let it crumble entirely.

In Galactic Imperia, damaged Stations (Fortress equivalent) have only 1/3 firepower when damaged. In Nomads Invasion, fortresses were downgraded 1 level after a successful siege instead of requiring repairs (I'm not sure if this was true of Era 3, but it was in the first two at least). Maybe a leaf can be taken from those books - for instance, fortress hp could be reduced 5-10% for each time it is destroyed, up to the point where it becomes a lower-level fortress. I see a problem with this though, because even strong fortresses have a nasty habit of being broken about 40-200 times during war, making the structure almost expendable overall.

Without some significant change to the concept and mechanics of this game, it's probably best to leave this rule alone *Smiley*

I actually wanna work for Imperia Online as i have very good ideas how to make this game more fun (i played many games so i have many ideas to coordinate good things). Actually IO was looking for translators, and as im korean, i wanted to try for it, but they told me that they would not pay me in cash.   rant

Some of us also don't have the time and still like working for the game for free  *rose*
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 15:11:47 PM by Polymeron » Logged

Respect GW, or we'll see how good your AA is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: