Imperia Online International
April 19, 2024, 01:22:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aren't Battering Rams the most cost effective siege units ?  (Read 3205 times)
AAjusLTU
Private

« on: December 09, 2008, 20:44:42 PM »

When comparing siege units I have noticed that to get a same firepower, you would spend the same amount of wood and iron for any of the three siege units. But for catapults or trebuchets you would spend more population then for battering rams. Am I correct? The trebuchets get the cheapest maintenance costs for the same firepower though. But how the catapults are better then battering rams?
maeof
Back in Business.
Translators

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 20:50:17 PM »

When comparing siege units I have noticed that to get a same firepower, you would spend the same amount of wood and iron for any of the three siege units. But for catapults or trebuchets you would spend more population then for battering rams. Am I correct? The trebuchets get the cheapest maintenance costs for the same firepower though. But how the catapults are better then battering rams?

Catapults shoots first round, rams jest attacks fortreses on third round.

by Koramae.
AAjusLTU
Private

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 20:53:51 PM »

So with a big number of catapults or trebuchets I could destroy a small fortress in a first round and defending archers would not get a chance to fire at me with x4 strength. Is it right?
maeof
Back in Business.
Translators

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 20:55:30 PM »

So with a big number of catapults or trebuchets I could destroy a small fortress in a first round and defending archers would not get a chance to fire at me with x4 strength. Is it right?

Yeah. (think so).

by Koramae.
Starbuck
Global Moderator

Qui s'y frotte, s'y pique

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 20:56:30 PM »

But how the catapults are better then battering rams?

the rams are the worst siege weapons you can get, but they are also the first ones you can get. advanced siege weapons are better coz well ... they are advanced !! (think about all those researches costs *wink*)

1) rams cost more in upkeep, and siege weapons that are not used to lay siege to castles regularly just keep costing money for nothing. At least you can put troops in garrison, and your army can help defend your kingdom when not away in missions. Siege weapons are a one-purpose tool (and an expensive one at it *wink*)
2) for equal firepower, rams needs more villagers, and that can be something of a drawback in in classic realms (4 months era)
3) but most importantly, rams attack walls only from the melee phase, after 3 whole rounds have been expended (-14 morale in the worst case scenario), whereas catapults and trebuchets start attacking from round 1. Which means, you'll breach walls much more faster with advanced siege weapons than with rams, but also that you'll risk losing a lot less troops (less rounds spent being showered with arrows from the garrison and more chances of not fleeing if morale drops below 50)

all considered, you may regard catapults and trebuchets as similar, but trebuchets easier for upkeep/villagers, while rams are 2x less cost-effective than them

have fun,
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 20:59:20 PM by Starbuck » Logged

Deus populusque
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: