Imperia Online International
March 28, 2024, 17:25:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mechanics of the battle  (Read 64724 times)
isolde
Addict for life
Forum Staff

Η ευτυχία ανήκει στους αυτάρκης

« on: February 03, 2009, 15:42:55 PM »

How the battle calculator works is still a big mystery in IO. Very few people can explain well the mechanics of a battle which depends a lot on something called density of the fighting parties. What does that mean: if you attack someone with 2000 soldiers - they are distributed into several "parties', "teams" or "units", call it whatever you want. But how exactly and how many soldiers are in each unit ? The battle depends much on that but few people know it.

That is why, for the enlightenment of the international community I am translation this post from Skeletan, one of the admittedly best ever players in Imperia Online. You can find the original here:

http://www4.imperiaonline.org/forums/bg/index.php?topic=15435.0

The density of the fighting units is determined ONLY in the beginning of each battle and the following principles are followed. :
1. Minimal number of units is 50;
2. The unit consists of the same type soldiers
3. The size of the units is determined as the total number of soldiers is consecutively divided by each following member from order of the real numbers until a result is reached which is less of 100.
4. Not all units have the same number of soldiers. The last unit with same type of soldiers can be incomplete.

Example 1:

spears = 441;
archers= 58

Determination of the total number of soldiers = 499
division by 1 = 499>100  therefore size of the fighting unit is greater than 1 soldier
division by 2 = 249.5 > 100 therefore size of the fighting unit is greater than 2 soldiers
division by 5 = 99.8 < 100 therefore the size of the unit is 5 soldiers

Formation of the fighting units:
441:5 = 88.2 (88 fighting units with 5 spears each and 0.2*5 = 1 spear in the last unit of spears, so altogether 89 units of spears)
58:5 = 11,6 (11 fighting units with 5 archers each and 0.6*5 = 3 archers in the last unit of archers, so altogether 12 units of archers)

Total number of fighting units: 89+ 12= 101

Example 2:

spears = 441;
archers= 59;

Determination of the total number of soldiers = 500
division by 1 = 500>100  therefore size of the fighting unit is greater than 1 soldier
division by 2 = 250.0 > 100 therefore size of the fighting unit is greater than 2 soldiers
division by 5 = 100 = 100 therefore size of the fighting unit is greater than 5 soldiers
division by 6 = 83.3 < 100 therefore size of the fighting unit is 6 soldiers

Formation of the fighting units:
441:6 = 73.5 (73 fighting units with 6 spears each and 0.5*6 = 3 spears in the last unit of spears, so altogether 74 units of spears)
59:6 = 9.83 (9 fighting units with 6 archers each and 0.83*6 = 5 archers in the last unit of archers, so altogether 10 units of archers)

Total number of fighting units: 74+ 10= 84

Every unit receives a consecutive number. Based on a random principle, each fighting unit meets in battle an enemy fighting unit during each round. When the number of units is not the same as the enemy has, one unit can participate several times in battle (from the army which has less fighting units). The purpose is, that all units participate at least once. If the army of player 1 has remainining only 10 units, and the army of player 2 has 50 units, then in the first part of the round, those 10 units will be fighting against 10 randomly chosen enemy units, after that the same 10 units will be put against another 10 of the enemy army units. In this way, those 10 units will take part 5 times each in the battle.

If the fighting units of player 1 are 10 and the units of player 2 are 11, then based on a random principle, 10 units are fighting with 10 units of the enemy troops. After that once again 1 unit is randomly chose, which is to fight the last 1 unit of the enemy, which has not yet taken part in the battle.

If player 1 has 10 fighting units, and player 2 has 12, then based on a random principle those 10 units fight with 10 of the enemy units. After that, 1 more unit from the 10 is randomly chosen to fight the 11th unit of the enemy. After that again, once more, 1 unit is randomly chosen to fight the 12th unit of the enemy, but so that it is not the same unit who has already been in battle for the second time against the 11th enemy unit.
Because the different types of soldiers have different bonuses, the random principle of units meeting each other in battle lead to different end results in battle although the beginning army is the same...
Console_Cowboy
e-Condottiero For Hire
Captain

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 12:51:01 PM »

I have been waiting for information about the mechanics of battle.  Originally posted in Russian, now translated to Mathematicals (with a few adjectives sprinkled)....  *hmm* I am waiting for the concise English-language version to answer the question: What factors impact the battle.  Put another way, to what do I need to attend when preparing for battle (calculators, screens, spy info, map...). As a noob, because noobs read these important posts before they can master every tool so they can then use the tools, I would like to know before what should I know before I send troops off to their/my doom?  Even the battle calculator has exploded offering the deadend button: "CHECK."

I do not even know if I am secure in my own fortress.  *tired*

Vote for MORE, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH MORE character space in MESSAGES >> Personal Notes >> Limitation?! Poll
Console_Cowboy
e-Condottiero For Hire
Captain

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 20:40:23 PM »

As for being secure in my own fortress 3 [fort 3] with 400 Archers at level 7, it seems if someone brings a battering ram and 1500 swords, 200 archers (0 melee, 0 range, 0 armor) I am cooked according to the calculator.  So much for my armor, tactics and range stats.

Imagine an unwashed army of 1500 sword-wielding peasants takes your fortress, which you have built-up, fortified, and populated with improved troops. 

So is the calculator broken?  Am I safe?  If not - how can I ever be?

Also, another one of those answers without statistical involvement: BEFORE I am attacked, do I get a note saying hostile troops are on their way?  Or is it a less romantic and less honorable discovery I make by looking at the village picture to see a mob around my fortress hurling more than insults? Will I get an email saying my fortress is under attack?  Or do I just suddenly see destruction and my numbers drop?

Will I even know I have been attacked or should I assume every computer bug is an attack: more of something that should not be there is a victory and less is a loss?

OK.  I am a total noob.  But these are questions people new to the game would want to know and should be told.  Veterans and staffers everywhere be bored now.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 20:41:33 PM by Console_Cowboy » Logged

Vote for MORE, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH MORE character space in MESSAGES >> Personal Notes >> Limitation?! Poll
alhatal
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 20:59:38 PM »

1 hour befor attack there is an icon with two crossed swords. When you click you can see who is attacking. From which province to which province, attack type, number of soliders and time to attack.

You can calculate your chances on webcalculator implemented in the game or download old calc.
Console_Cowboy
e-Condottiero For Hire
Captain

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 21:24:27 PM »

Thank you. 

Can you provide me with some answer to my other question?  I cannot believe a large mob of peasants with 1 tree trunk will overtake my fortress.

I mean, compared to those peasants, my troops are heavy hitters (military Academy 3, armor 2, tactics 2, melee 6, range 7).  Can I really sweep everyone away with 1500 sword + 200 arrows of this?

Starbuck
Global Moderator

Qui s'y frotte, s'y pique

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 21:38:24 PM »

please use the Battle Calculator to simulate potential cases.
and for your info, 1500 swordsmen can definitely take a fort 3 in plains with archers in garrison *Smiley*

Have fun,

Deus populusque
Console_Cowboy
e-Condottiero For Hire
Captain

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 21:46:12 PM »

Thanks.
So I am reading the calculator correctly  *YAHOO*- and it's true.    *cry*

jams
Sergeant

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 12:44:39 PM »

The balance is achieved by the honor/morale loss for attacking players with less than 1/2 your points (net worth).  In your example the 1.500 swordsmen are 203 points, 400 archers are 27 points, so it will be easy for the defending player to have much lower points than the attacking.

Forts are most often defended by forcing the attacking army to flee by dropping its morale, not by defeating it.
smruti
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 12:52:03 PM »

Nice post Isolde  *bear* ..only few people knows these stuffs and outta those few people, only few posts what they know   *cool*
terry
Private

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 06:43:11 AM »

Hi,

I'm new here with the battle thingy.
I have 1500 army yet i could lose to 100 archers and 100 swordman (in the level3 fortress)  *xxx*
Can anyone comment or advice on these?
Thanks
Starbuck
Global Moderator

Qui s'y frotte, s'y pique

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 13:11:12 PM »

it's not army size, but army mix that matters ... if your army is nothing but spearmen, then they'll be cut to pieces by the archers in garrison *Smiley*

Deus populusque
k_mihai
Major

Real Quitter

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 14:43:53 PM »

may i ask what avengers IV is, isolde?

Radooo
Colonel

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 17:18:08 PM »

may i ask what avengers IV is, isolde?

her alliance *freak*

I am the one and only!